Always Working

Ms. B chosen as Auxiliary Staff Member of the year

Always+Working

Brianna Oro, Reporter

Across the cafeteria students see Ms. B working, bringing trash cans to them to throw away their trash and reminding kids they can only have eight people at a table. In the hallways she’s seen helping move tables from the cafeteria to the gym, or wherever else they need to go. She’s in the cafeteria by 8:30 a.m. before the majority of students start to trickle in.

She’s always on the move, working to make Chisholm a campus to be proud of. She has been here since the school opened.

Now because of that work ethic, Beatrice Burgess, known campus wide as Ms. B, has won the Auxiliary Staff Member of the Year award. She will retire June 29.

“I got excited and proud when I got the award,” she said. “To the people who nominated me, I want to say thank you very much because there are other people who are more deserving.”

Ms. B has worked at several schools in the district including Wayside, Boswell, Creekview and HCTC.

“My experience here has been great for me,” she said. “My favorite part is watching the kids grow from freshman to senior year.”

While students are her favorite part of the job, her least favorite part is also because of them.

“The bad parts is when the kids make messes and just walk away and leave it there,” she said.

Ms. B said she likes her job and her part in keeping the school ready for the day. She likes keeping the school clean and safe, and she enjoys getting the facility ready for the multiple events held here.

Now as she nears retirement, she knows she’ll miss parts of the job.

“When I retire I will miss the kids and staff,” she said.