A Heart-Filled Performance

Life Skills students star in The Seasons

Trevor Tarin

Juan Ortega-Lopez and Jacob Sykes in The Gingerbread Man.

Hannah Vrlenich, Reporter

Family and friends in the audience sit down, and all look at the stage. The lights dim and the spotlights come on and showcase a spot on the stage. The red curtains are still closed. Finally, junior Javonta Guyette walks onto stage, and all eyes are on him as he announces the program. The curtains open and the show begins. 

The show is a play delivered by the Life Skills class in conjunction with the Drama department. 

“We’ve grown from a 4-minute play and probably 20/30 people to now 200 people,” Life Skills teacher Mrs. Homan said.  

This is the fourth annual variety show produced by CTHS Theater class. The show is called The Seasons. There are poems, short stories, dancing and singing and a performance by the Jazz Band.  

But the main stars of the Show are the Life Skills students.  

All of them have their own talents to present.   

Mr. Beck and Mr. Esquierdo came up with the production and have made it a yearly tradition. 

Sixth period Drama class was given different groups of Life Skills students to help put on what they were assigned.  

Mr. Beck and Mr. Esquierdo stood on the side and let the students run the production and helped out when they needed to.  

“I believe we are one of the few schools if not the only in the Metroplex that would do a show that showcases our Life Skills students,” Mr. Beck said. “It’s us being able to show that you can have a special need especially in the theater, regardless of who you are as a person.”  

The class as a whole worked on the production for a little over a month. 

Homan said the play is about more than the variety show itself. 

“I think as we grow and build on with our community, I think the kids are going to see that they are able to do much more than they ever thought they could,” Mrs. Homan said. “And that’s huge to me.”  

After the show a few of the sixth period students cried because of how happy they were to see their group do so good.  

“It was overwhelming. I wanted to cry. But it wasn’t sad; it was tears of happiness,” senior Sasha Trichell said. “It made me happy that I was giving them a place to feel welcomed and I think the whole experience was good.”