Sharing Her Story

Junior says she appreciates support from student body when she pays tribute to her mom beating cancer

Myranda Salinas

Junior Analis Gonzalez paying tribute to her mothers cancer battle at the pink out pep rally.

Natalia Tristan, Reporter

“I was so afraid my mom was going to die,” junior Analis Gonzales said. “Once she called me I could hear in her voice that something was off.”  

On May 30, Analis was informed that her mother, Laura Rodriguez, tested positive for breast cancer. Analis said she had to be strong for her mother to support her journey. A journey that left Analis scared she may lose her best friend, inspiration and hero all in one due this one diagnosis.   

“It really took me by surprise,” Analis said. “I was at school waiting for her call because I knew she was finding out if her journey was going to continue.” 

Terrified and completely unable to comprehend what her mother was going through, Analis said all she was capable of saying at the time was “It’s okay, we will get through it.” She knew had to be strong. 

After ending the phone call, Analis was crushed and so scared that she was bawling. She decided to go to someone she could trust so Analis texted her best friend, junior Joclyn Aguirre, for support.  

“I was shocked,” Joclyn said. “Because I wondered how one of the most loving people could get it.” 

This is one of those things where you think about cancer and you think about death, just hard, scary death.”

— Analis Gonzales

It, breast cancer, impacts nearly 2 million people every year globally, both men and women a year according to BCRF.org. 

Mrs. Rodriguez, Analis’s mother, is supportive character in Analis and Joclyn’s life. She played a role as both mother and father for Analis and her older brother and did everything she could for the two all while having welcoming arms for close friends, like Joclyn.  

When their journey through cancer started, Analis had no idea what was going to happen next. Now the woman she received the most support from was going to need her to give her that same support to help fight.  

“This is one of those things where you think about cancer and you think about death, just hard, scary death,” she said.  

The students at Chisholm did not really know what was going on in Analis’s life until the Pink Out Pep Rally.  

It was all fun and games with the students in the stands cheering to the band, the Charmers, cheerleaders, and the Ranch Hands. Then it became serious and no longer a game. Moments before walking out, Analis surprised her mom by having her stepdad there with her.  

“He was supposed to be out of town for another two weeks.” Analis said. “It surprised her and also made me anxious, like this is real.” 

Tickling butterflies filled Analis’s stomach. The lights in the gym dimmed, and it was quiet. The band was behind her, and on both sides the Charmers watched. She was seen from every angle. She introduced herself and her mom. As soon as she began her speech, she choked up.  

“It was kind of bringing me back to the feeling like, wow, my mom really went through this,” she said. “I had happy tears because I was so proud to say my mom did THAT. She beat cancer and is an inspiration.” 

Speaking to everyone was so in the moment and Analis couldn’t help but let some tears out. Analis no longer had to keep this a secret. Students in the stands were respectful and quiet during Analis’s speech. They even held up the flash on their phones to show support. When Analis finished her speech, students from each section began hugging her and her mom.  

“The support was very amazing,” Analis said. “To hear everyone cheering, or the people who came up to us, it was so sweet. I just want to say thank you for showing love to my family.”